Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Poetry for winter weather


Sometimes you have the perfect words to describe what you're seeing and feeling. And sometimes somebody else does.

This poem by Ogden Nash perfectly describes the beauty and exhilaration of today's snowstorm in my adopted state of Michigan:

Winter Morning

Winter is the king of showmen
Turning tree stumps into snowmen
And houses into birthday cakes
And sprinkling sugar over lakes
Smooth and clean and frosty white
The world looks good enough to bite
That's the season to be young
Catching snowflakes on your tongue

2 comments:

  1. Hi Diane,

    Well, we share a lot of similarities. Like you, I'm a former print journalist. I spent the bulk of my career with O&E/Hometown, but also did stints with the Ann Arbor News and The Community Crier.

    I did attend Keith's fiction writing group for awhile, too! I like your cover design on you novel ... did you do that? Did you self-publish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Scott! Thanks for checking out the blog! I wish I could take credit for the cover design, but that was done by a graphic artist friend of mine, Claire Innes.

    I decided to go the self-publishing route, just to give it a try since it seemed like there were so many options these days, although as a former reporter, I am hardly a salesperson. So we'll see how it goes! I published on www.smashwords.com.

    I've only been to one writing meeting; the other was snowed out!! But they seem pretty fun. Some members aren't writing fiction. There seems to be a broad mix. If you get the urge, you should stop by!!

    ReplyDelete